[asterisk-ss7] Large SS7 installation (96 E1s)

Krzysztof Drewicz krzysztofdrewicz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 02:18:33 CDT 2008

2008/7/16 Patrick <asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl>:
> Antoine,

My 0.04 USD:

>> There many unknowns to me:
>> For example I don't know if I can put 16 E1s per server?
>
> Not sure. I would not stick that many E1s on a single box since Asterisk
> can deadlock.

I've got my first box with 4 x TE410P. It Works. But it was only for
multiplication of interface E1 connections, from 14 PABXes to 2 lines
from carrier side. And it was very low traffic. Now i whould not risk
such a set-up.
Said that, we should also be aware of redundacy in SS7 it self and
implementation of that redundacy in asterisk. So, if it's not a space
issue i whould put 1 card like TE410P with 4 E1 per 1 server, use some
good platform like x306 from IBM (now it's x3250 i think), put some
servers in rack cabinet and duplicate even ethernet links by 2 LAN
switches...

> In this case it would bring down 480 channels. Are you willing to run that
> risk?

That's the point,  how many of channels you (your client) wishes to
risk at one time? Maybe there will be upgrade issue, where putting
down 120 channels will be fine, replacing server, and bringing up ?

Maybe there's an option of some better aproach? Like redfone and TDMoE
? Anyone used it with SS7? if you could put 1/2/4 connections to one
redfone-like box, then use it by only a few servers (not one server
per 30/60/120 channels).

> I would offload the prepaid application to another set of boxes for
> scalability and redundancy.

Yes, i whould even consider splitting voice processing from SQL, so
putting database on diffrent server, or even using some redundant
database with loadsharing.

With setup starting at 480 channels it's good to plan how system will
grow, and if at some point there whould not be problem like "only
100Mbit ethernet" when 1 Gb is needed...

--
Krzysztof Drewicz
+48 504 17 55 77