[asterisk-ss7] Asterisk SS7, SG, MG and MGCP

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Wed Aug 13 10:52:13 CDT 2008

voip me wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> Sorry for my ambigouse subject. I want to set the following solution and
> need your idea's and experinces. I want to setup an asterisk box with
> one E1 link containing 4 or 5 SS7 signalling links and have two or three
> asterisk boxes each with 8 E1 (voice only) as media gateway. What is
> your idea's, is it possible, it seems MGCP is for this case but aa more
> i look in asterisk MGCP channel less I get what's its usage. Any one
> could shed some lights on this topic, im somehow mixed up. How could I
> control the media gateway asterisks to tell them which channel has a
> call and where it should go?

Asterisk's chan_mgcp does not support being a media gateway right now.
You can only control media gateways.  Also, Asterisk doesn't currently
support signalling reception on anything other than a DS0 directly
connected to the machine.

You're not going to be able to control media gateways either that are
signalled via SS7, since chan_dahdi does not speak MGCP.

These are both things that I would like to improve though...

Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc.