[asterisk-ss7] Asterisk SS7, SG, MG and MGCP

Kristian Nielsen knmeister at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 07:08:12 CDT 2008

"voip me" <voip.mide at gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for my ambigouse subject. I want to set the following solution and need
> your idea's and experinces. I want to setup an asterisk box with one E1 link
> containing 4 or 5 SS7 signalling links and have two or three asterisk boxes
> each with 8 E1 (voice only) as media gateway. What is your idea's, is it
> possible, it seems MGCP is for this case but aa more i look in asterisk MGCP
> channel less I get what's its usage. Any one could shed some lights on this
> topic, im somehow mixed up. How could I control the media gateway asterisks to
> tell them which channel has a call and where it should go?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have half the signalling links on one box, and
half on the other? Otherwise whenever you need to do maintenance on the single
box with the signalling links you will loose all of your 30*16 lines. You
could instead set up 2 clustered chan_ss7 boxes each with 8 E1 and 2 or 3
signalling links, and then when one box is down the other can take over.

But maybe I misundestood what you are trying to achieve, as I am not familiar
with MGCP...

 - Kristian.