[asterisk-ss7] Problems setting up cluster with chan_ss7

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro jcastro at instant.com.br
Thu May 31 08:11:00 MST 2007

Hello. I have the mission of implementing a big SS7 cluster using
chan_ss7. The channel driver itself works in the simplest case -- with
one Asterisk communicating with one switch, I can make and receive calls
just fine. More, I can even communicate with two different switches
(different DPCs) and I can make and receive calls on either one from the
same Asterisk machine -- as long as each of those links has signalling.
Groovy. Now, on to the cluster part.

I has the setup described in the diagram below, and ss7.conf is just
below that. The problem is: the L2 link, from machine 1 to switch sw4,
never comes up -- it always show "reset pending" in "ss7 show channels".
It's not a physical problem, because if I disconnect the cable from L2
and put in L9 in the other machine (and change ss7.conf in myasthost-03
accordingly for a non-cluster configuration), it does come up.

I imagine myasthost-01 was supposed to perform that link's reset by
communicating with myasthost-03 through chan_ss7's cluster protocol. For
some reason it isn't. It isn't a network problem either, I can see in
the logs they "see" each other through port 5040.

Our servers are Dell PowerEdge 1950 with Digium TE410P quad-span cards,
jumpered for E1, running Fedora Core 6, the latest 1.2 series Asterisk,
and chan_ss7 0.9.

+-----------------+        +-----------------+
| myasthost-01    |        | myasthost-03    |     <-- Asterisk Machines
| L1  L2  L3  L4  |        | L9  L10 L11 L12 |
+--+---+---+---+--+        +--+---+---+---+--+
   |   |                          |
   |   |                          |
   |   +---------------------+    +---+
   |                         |        |
+--+-----------------+    +--+--------+--------+
|  CIC 1             |    |  CIC 1    CIC 129  |   <-- Ericsson AXE's
| Switch sw1         |    | Switch sw4         |
+--------------------+    +--------------------+

S = Has signalling on timeslot 16

ss7.conf:
[linkset-sw1]