[asterisk-ss7] How many spans ??

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at falevoip.net
Mon Nov 6 18:41:21 MST 2006

Someone in the list said a couple of months ago to be running chan_ss7
with 8 E1.

As far as interrupts go, using 4 single FXO cards on a system generates as
many interrupts as 4 quad span cards. I have before run with 4 TDM cards
on a single Asterisk system, but with less than 60 channels (3 TDM400P +
E100P).

I believe that with an efficient quad CPU high end system with hardware
assisted transcoding (digiums G.723/G.729 card), even 16 E1 will be
possible as long as your dialplan is simple, or you have fairly long calls
in average.

8 E1 with the right CPU/mobo combo and G.711 only should be doable today.

> But, is asterisk + libss7 able to handle that amount of channels, I mean 8
> 30 = 240 ? Or there is a limitation on libss7 or asterisk side ?.
>
> What I try to say is, if the system have enough memory, enough cpu. Is
> there
> a limitation on libss7 that can avoid to manage that amount of channels,
> maybe, pci interruption, poll delay or overrun ?
>

> On 11/6/06, Matthew Fredrickson <creslin at digium.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I can't see that being particularly difficult on a modern system.
>>   Your estimation metrics should be similar to how you would estimate
>> for any other T1/E1 signalling protocol.
>>
>> Matthew Fredrickson
>>
>> On Nov 6, 2006, at 2:39 PM, Robert Kenton wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > How many spans or how many TE410P can be used in one server with
>> > Libss7 and or with chan_ss7 ?
>> >
>> > To be more specific, it is possible to handle 8 spans in one server
>> > with chan_ss7 or libss7 just as a IVR server ?
>> >
>> > Robert.

Atenciosamente

Marcelo Pacheco
Diretor de Tecnologia e Sistemas - FaleVOIP Telecom
Com: (27)2127-9791
Cel: (27)9945-3993
Fax: (27)2127-9799
E-mail: marcelo at falevoip.net