[Asterisk-ss7] Let us design an open source SS7 interfaceforAsterisk

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Sun May 15 17:15:06 CDT 2005

I don't think it is that simple,  you need to include new protocol
stacks in the kernel.  I think SS7 over IP (aka SIGTRAN) uses SCTP
for MTP1 & MTP2.  You'll need to find how the 'cisco' boxes does it,
find out which protocols it supports and then build from there.   The
ss7box looks interesting but I don't think they have a product yet.
The most difficult part IMHO is not developing the software, it is
getting the software certified with the RBOCs.  The PSTN is very much
an 'old boys network' and you need to spend a LOT of money and time
getting products ready to integrate with the PSTN.  There are several
SS7 to IP gateways available,  find a couple that you like and figure
out what protocols they require.  Read up on SIGTRAN and SS7

-Matt