[asterisk-speech-rec] How does one tell the difference betweennumbers and letters - Lumenvox

Stephen Keller StephenKeller at LumenVox.com
Fri Oct 10 17:55:56 CDT 2008

This is a pretty common problem, and one without a great solution. The fact is that "Eight" and "A" sound very similar in English -- even humans have great difficulty distinguishing them over the phone. If it's hard for humans, it's harder for a machine.

The best way to deal with it, if possible, is to ask people to say things like "Alpha" or "Alex" for "A" and add those to your grammar, which I think you've started doing with "Y."
Thanks,
Stephen Keller
Project Manager
LumenVox
P: 1-877-977-0707 - just say, "Support"
P: +1-858-707-7700
F: +1-858-707-7072
support at LumenVox.com<mailto:support at LumenVox.com>
www.LumenVox.com<http://www.lumenvox.com/>

From: asterisk-speech-rec-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-speech-rec-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of David Merel
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 3:31 PM
To: asterisk-speech-rec at lists.digium.com
Subject: [asterisk-speech-rec] How does one tell the difference betweennumbers and letters - Lumenvox

So I have a Grammar file where I am trying to combine letters and numbers so that people can speak a model number of a MAC address of a network device into the phone.

Problem is 8 and A are commonly being mixed up, even with the speech tuner it doesnt seem to be too accurate, is there any way in the grammar file to further enhance a Letters recognition?

Here is a small example, btw for example you will see below I added "Ay" not sure if that even valid, but with or without I am getting the same accuracy issues.

$Digit = (ONE:"1"        |
          TWO:"2"        |
          THREE:"3"      |
          FOUR:"4"       |
          FIVE:"5"       |
          SIX:"6"        |
          SEVEN:"7"      |
          EIGHT:"8"      |
          NINE:"9"       |
          (ZERO | O):"0" );

$A = (A|Ay):"A";
$B = (B|bee):"B";
$C = (C|see):"C";
$D = (D|dee):"D";

$Y = (Yankee $GARBAGE|
Young|Why):"Y";

Any help would be great

Fyi, I am working with Lumenvox Speech Engine