[asterisk-speech-rec] SpeechBackround: accepting DTMF and speech at the same time? Why?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Dec 4 09:35:57 MST 2006

Tom [toms400] wrote:
> The problem is that some of them have phones that produce beeps
> intended for them as audible feedback, not the person they're calling.
> That beep is basically just background noise.  So, even though
> SpeechBackground picks up the out-of-band DTMF correctly, the speech
> engine appears to be detecting that beep as speech, timesout and
> returns an incomplete result.  Does this sound plausible?

The phone is sending this beep down the line, not just playing it out
the speaker (or some other method) for the person sitting at the phone?
That seems very odd... I've never heard of a phone that does that. When
the keys are pressed, the only that should be sent down the line is the
DTMF itself, not some random other noise that will be useless for the
other party.

Is the server hearing this noise because the user is using the phone in
speakerphone mode, or with a headset with the speaker set to a high volume?