[asterisk-security] Asterisk and DoS attack: What has been done so far?

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 13:55:51 CST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 1:51 PM, Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 13:03 -0500, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> > On Jan 30, 2008 10:10 AM, Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net> wrote:
> > > To be clear, I believe the DDoS issues can only be addressed at the
> > > Autonomous System level, which is typically an ISP or large hosting
> > > company.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Jeremy
> > >

> > Jeremy,
> >
> >   Most carriers that provide you with a BGP session can provide this
> > service.  Some do for free, some do for fee.  When setting up BGP with
> > Cogent, for example, you can opt-in (for free) to create a second BGP
> > session to a blackhole server.  You can advertise /32s to that server
> > and have traffic to it blackholed at Cogent's backbone.  Apparently at
> > least Verizon Biz (old MCI/UUNET) also provides this for a fee
> > (probably with to/from AS/IP/etc matching).  With a service like this,
>
> Even with BGP Flowspec, this isn't what I'm talking about. Agreed, it's
> mostly handling the after effects.  The root cause of DDoS, is source
> address spoofing.  The remedy is Ingress/Egress filtering.  Backbones
> such as Cogent don't do this that I'm aware of, and it'll be a long time
> before they do, if ever, IMO.

  Ingress/Egress filtering would be nice.  And you're correct, most
backbones don't do this.  However, even with Ingress/Egress filtering
a large enough botnet would still be a problem (with legit sourced
IPs).  A VoIP service provider could pretty easily whitelist/blacklist
based on these IPs and the methods I discussed before.

> I believe direct peering offers a solution, on a small/local scale.
> Internet exchanges may rise as a hidden jewel for security (they are
> presently dealt with like secondary, best-effort, volunteer based,
> etc.) , which may need to be addressed for mass VOIP adoption.

  You're right again with direct peering.  That's what we're working toward...

> >   There has been some discussion on NANOG about this over the last few
> > days.  Well worth the read.
>
> Yes about time I hopped over there and check it out.

  Yeah, sometimes NANOG is worth it...  I like the diagrams on your
website, btw!

--
Kristian Kielhofner