[Asterisk-Security] Supporting security list

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Sun Aug 7 16:09:45 CDT 2005

On Sunday 07 August 2005 16:47, Joey Kelly wrote:
> On Sunday August 7 2005 10:21, steve szmidt spake:
> > On Sunday 07 August 2005 10:37, Fabio Pietrosanti wrote:
> > > Should we invite him to the list to discuss about his idea and
> > > prototipe and work togheter to get IAX and SIP encryption using the
> > > same standard, de facto opensource methods?
> >
> > Great idea!
> >
> > I just sent him an invitation. Hopefully this fits in with his program. I
> > also offered testing, which should be of interest to him.
>
> You folks do understand that PGP is not free software, right? There is a
> free implementation of PGP, known as GPG (Gun Privacy Guard), which may or
> may not lend itself to IAX/SIP.

It is actually currently running on OS X encrypting SIP.

From his website:

PGP Freeware and Source Code

NAI had suspended the long-standing tradition of publishing PGP source code
for peer review, a reckless move that eroded public confidence in the
product. The new PGP Corp has reinstated this tradition, which allows anyone
to download and inspect the PGP source code for bugs, and also shows that it
has no back doors. And they still offer freeware versions for noncommercial
use.

From the beginning of PGP, there have always been freeware versions available
for noncommercial use, and that is still true today. But bear in mind that if
too many people just use the freeware without upgrading to a paid-for
version, the engineers that develop PGP will have to find other work to feed
their families. PGP suffered a near-death experience at the hands of NAI, and
now has a new chance for life with PGP Corp. If you want PGP to survive this
time around, you'd better ante up and pay your dues. You may have a
constitutional right to use crypto software, but someone has to pay the
developers. Free Speech is not the same as Free Beer.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin