[asterisk-scf-dev] [asterisk-dev] building asterisk-scf

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Oct 21 14:32:40 CDT 2011

On 10/21/2011 02:04 PM, Marc Blanchet wrote:

> Le 2011-10-21 à 14:57, Kevin P. Fleming a écrit :
>
>> On 10/21/2011 01:26 PM, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>   following instructions on "https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/TOP/Building+-+Linux" for a clean-new-minimal-install Fedora14, it stopped with:
>>
>> This should go on the asterisk-scf-dev list.
>
> oups, email automatic completion... now continuing on -scf-dev.
>

>>> cd ice
>>> cd cpp
>>> make install
>>> Creating /opt/Ice-3.4.2...
>>> mkdir: cannot create directory '/opt/Ice-3.4.2': Permission denied
>>> cd ../py
>>> make install
>>> Creating /opt/Ice-3.4.2...
>>> mkdir: cannot create directory '/opt/Ice-3.4.2': Permission denied
>>> cd java
>>> make install
>>> complaining about the non-existence of ../cpp/bin/...
>>>
>>> Is the build process requires root priv to install in /opt? does not make sense to me. Or are instructions incomplete?
>>
>> That's up to your Linux distribution; in general, yes, root permission is required to install software outside of your home directory. The same situation applies installing Ice on Windows; it must be done with administrator privileges.
>>
>> I suppose we could add comments on the wiki pages to tell you to either build as root or use 'sudo', but at some point we have to assume some basic knowledge on the part of the person reading the instructions :-)
>
> - you know I'm not talking about that...
>
> - what I'm saying is that why for building asterisk-scf, we can't have all the building done within a user directory, as typical for many software, and only have the final make install be done by root?

I've never tested trying to use Ice from its build directories instead
of from its install directories; it's possible that it would work, but
if the Ice Makefiles make changes to the libraries during the
installation process, it might not.

You aren't building a *single* software package here, so it's
necessarily going to have more steps than if you were. You are building
Ice, then a set of plugins for Ice, then Asterisk SCF itself. They
aren't integrated and never will be, because they shouldn't be. This
would be no different than if you were building an application that
required a newer version of the Apache APR libraries than your system
has available via pre-built packages; you'd have to download and build
the new version of APR, then install it, *then* you could build the
package that required it.

--
Kevin P. Fleming