[asterisk-scf-dev] Building Java Components

David M. Lee dlee at digium.com
Wed Nov 10 16:52:38 CST 2010

I've written a wiki page describing how to build Java components for Asterisk SCF.
http://bit.ly/cU7hwb

I could use some help from Java fans interested in Asterisk SCF.

First, it would be good if someone other than me went through the page to make sure everything works, to verify that I didn't miss any steps.  Especially steps that could be different on Windows.

Secondly, I would really like some comments on the generated API.  Is there anything weird, unusual or unpleasant about how our Slice API's are mapped into Java?

To better understand the API, it would probably help to look at the ZeroC documentation on Java Mappings.
http://www.zeroc.com/doc/Ice-3.4.1/manual/Hello.4.4.html
http://www.zeroc.com/doc/Ice-3.4.1/manual/Java.html#73697

Some things to get you started:
 * The interfaces ending in the Prx suffix are the proxies that clients get for referring to server side objects.
 * The classes beginning with _ and ending with Disp are the base classes that server side implementations extend.

Most of the other classes are basically noise.

My comments about the mapping:
 * There are tons of public classes in the API that could probably be made either package-private or inner classes.  That would really clean things up.
 * The way constants get mapped is kinda strange, since they can only appear directly in modules.
 * The use of Array's to map sequence's instead of Lists is really annoying.

Comments welcome!

dave
<><

--