[hydra-dev] Ice in Hydra repository

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Mar 31 07:31:48 CDT 2010

Simon Perreault wrote:
> On 2010-03-30 20:32, Chris Tooley wrote:
>> So we can effectively ignore the ice version for a particular distro and
>> assume that ice needs to be built from the Hydra repo. I would assume
>> this means that there be some work to "contain" ice inside the Hydra
>> installation then to avoid stepping on something else that may be
>> installed which uses the distro's version.
>
> That's a good way to prevent distros from packaging Hydra. They just
> hate when projects bundle their dependencies.

This is a temporary situation; we don't know that we'll have any
required changes at all when Hydra reaches a point of distributability,
and even if we do have changes we'd *like* to rely on, we'll all have to
decide whether the changes are actually worth the cost of requiring
people to use our version of Ice.

Keep in mind that ZeroC is certainly interested in accepting
contributions of functionality that are worthwhile additions to Ice
(we've already gotten one included), and so if we come up with something
that is truly useful for Hydra, it could very well be incorporated
upstream into a future Ice version that is released before Hydra is
ready for packaging. In the meantime, having our own copy of Ice allows
developers to have an easier method to work on and test these ideas than
passing patches around.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com