[hydra-dev] Goals

Malcolm C. Davenport malcolmd at digium.com
Thu Jun 10 11:44:39 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> Here are a couple of ideas for longterm hydra product goals using
> asterisk as a reference point:
>
> * Extension of codec support from voice to high definition music and
> video (e.g. 1080p 7+1 24/96)

Totally agree.  We need to make strides here.  I'm starting with a listing of audio and video codecs that I think have merit:

https://myth.asterisk.org/wiki/display/TOP/Desirable+Codecs%2C+Audio+and+Video

There's currently an RFC for RTP payload formats for linear 20 and linear 24; nothing yet for linear 32, but we'll surely see something there in the next several years.

> * Removal of channels types other than IP ones (e.g. no ISDN)

I think there's still merit in ISDN, particularly as it relates to primary rate, and in SS7 signaling via the PSTN.  Analog seems a tougher call at this point.

> * Better integration with information servers and social networks
> (e.g. twitter)
> * Extension of voicemail storage to other audio and video storage both
> personal and communal (e.g. unsigned.com)
> * Integration with home entertainment systems (e.g. network connected
> tv)

All accomplished with better support for text-based messaging protocols?