[hydra-dev] * Fault Tolerance vs High availability

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 10:05:52 CDT 2010

I was one of the people who advocated support for fail-over of live calls.
I had 2 reasons:
	1) We had a consultancy job for a 'blue lamp' service (police/fire/etc) where it was
a requirement so asterisk was rejected. I feel the Hydra should be aiming to solve
problems that asterisk can't.
	2) If Hydra's natural habitat is the cloud, then the ability to migrate live calls
will be very handy. Imagine the case where you rolled out 100 instances
to cope with a traffic spike. Once the spike is over, you can't shut down the
instances until all the longer calls have finished. What you'd like is to migrate the
stragglers to a couple of instances and shut everything else down.

T.