[asterisk-scf-committee] Asterisk SCF 1.0 Feature List, and progress towards it

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Sep 8 14:00:49 CDT 2011

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/TOP/Asterisk+SCF+1.0+Target+Feature+List+by+Milestone

This list, including milestones 1, 2 and 3, represents what was agreed
upon by the committee members early this year. The list was intended to
ensure that when Asterisk SCF 1.0 was released, that it would have
enough functionality to be interesting and useful to potential users, so
that they would start trying it out and learning how to develop on/for it.

As I said on the call yesterday, it's not surprising that development
has taken longer than expected, although we've made a significant amount
of progress. Today, we're expecting to have the milestone 2 list
completed by the end of this month, and then spend the next few weeks
(before AstriCon) testing, polishing, documenting, etc.

What this means is that we need an assessment from the committee about
whether the items that were placed into milestone 3 are *necessary* for
a suitable and usable 1.0 release, or whether it's acceptable to proceed
with the milestone 2 list and build the milestone 3 features for a 1.1
release.

Give us your honest opinion: what's important here is that the 1.0
release be substantial enough to allow interested potential users to
make serious use of it and learn from it. It doesn't have to be 100%
competitive and at feature-parity with other platforms, of course... but
we don't want potential users to find it so lacking that they just
shelve it and wait for another release.

--
Kevin P. Fleming