[asterisk-r2] asterisk using rpm or source compiling

Alejandro Kauffmann akauffma at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jun 15 14:26:02 CDT 2012

On 6/15/2012 11:44 AM, Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar wrote:
> Hi Anton,
>
> There is anything you really need to customize or change from the source
> code? If you don't (and can't maintain in sync with new releases,
> including security ones), don't even start a configure; make; make
> install sequence of commands.
>
> If you do need to customize source code for some reason, try to do so by
> using distro source package + patch over the distro source package. It
> will make your life a lot easy.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Alexandre Alencar
> Twitter @alexandreitpro
> http://blog.alexandrealencar.net/
> http://www.alexandrealencar.net/
> http://www.alexandrealencar.com
> http://www.servicosdeti.com.br/
> COBIT, ITIL, CSM, LPI, MCP-I
>

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Anton Krall <antonkrall at gmail.com
> <mailto:antonkrall at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Here is another one for you guys.. I see that on EPEL there are rpms
>     for asterisk 1.8.11 so here is my question, install asterisk using
>     yum vs compile everything by hand... what are your thoughts?
>

>     --

New to the list, but here's my 2 cents.  While it is indeed easier to
just "yum update", if you ever need a fix, patch, or back-port to
resolve an issue with one of your customers (boss), building from source
is the way to go.

I've been tweaking this beast in a production environments since 0.1.2
and have seen "packaged" versions come an go.  The only thing that has
always been available is building from source.

Alex