[asterisk-r2] Bug with two half E1s on Open R2.

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at m2j.com.br
Wed Jan 11 13:18:28 CST 2012

 From the sample system.conf on DAHDI:

#   span=<span num>,<timing source>,<line build out
(LBO)>,<framing>,<coding>[,yellow]
# If you choose 0, the port will never be used as a source of timing.
This is
# appropriate when you know the far end should always be a slave to you. If
# the port is connected to a channel bank, for example, you should always be
# its master. Likewise, BRI TE ports should always be configured as a slave.
# Any number of ports can be marked as 0.

I'm setting up the first E1 as PRIMARY (timing source 1), and the other
3 E1s as slaves (timing source 0).

You explanation that I must setup all 30 channels on each SPAN even if
they're not used for CAS at all is based on what ?
I think this is a OWT (Old Wife's Tail). Each channel should be defined
for its actual use. If there's a bug you're working around, then lets
report that and get it fixed.
Carrier Embratel in Brazil has about 20000 customers with a 15 channel
voice + voice signalling + 15 channel data Internet bundle. Usually
Embratel supplies the MUX to split the signals, but then you're saying
that I'm unable to do the MUX function in Linux if the voice is MFC-R2 ?
I've done this with ISDN just fine.

Its always important to separate the bugs we get used working around
from the proper way of doing things...

Cheers,

Marcelo