[asterisk-r2] Asterisk and Nortel Option 11

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Mon Sep 27 17:34:24 CDT 2010

	Sunday I did a new install to replace an old voicemail system with
Asterisk and a Nortel Option 11 Pbx.  Everything worked very well and
after a small change to the Nortel configuration we could send and
receive calls with CID.  I used this as the base for my configuration:

http://arturoochoa.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/asterisk-with-nortel-option-11-using-mfcr2/

	After more than 24 hours of operation the customer called because they
could no longer send or receive calls from the Nortel phones.  When we
logged into the server we could see that the Telmex E1 was up and
running and receiving calls on the IVR.  We could see Asterisk dialing
on the second E1 and after the timeout period it would send the caller
to voicemail.  The CLI did not print out any R2 errors but the full log
had lots of these messages:

[Sep 27 16:02:57] DEBUG[3968] chan_dahdi.c: Dropping frame since I'm
still dialing on DAHDI/62-1...
[Sep 27 16:02:57] DEBUG[3970] chan_dahdi.c: Dropping frame since I'm
still dialing on DAHDI/36-1...
[Sep 27 16:02:57] DEBUG[3968] chan_dahdi.c: Dropping frame since I'm
still dialing on DAHDI/62-1...
[Sep 27 16:02:57] DEBUG[3970] chan_dahdi.c: Dropping frame since I'm
still dialing on DAHDI/36-1...

	Channels 1-31 are the Telmex E1 and 32-62 are the Nortel E1.  Here is
the relevant part of the config:

http://pastebin.com/E9axL0tg

	For the moment the problem was solved when they rebooted the Nortel
pbx.  After it came on again calls immediately went in and out.  The
only thing that the Nortel technician mentioned was that in his opinion
this problem happened because the Nortel lost sync.  I cannot find
anything on the log that would indicate that the E1 had a problem and we
even rebooted the Asterisk server and disconnected the cables to see if
that would fix the problem, but only after they powered down the pbx was
the problem fixed.

	I can still see the "Dropping frame..." messages on the full log but
things are working for the moment.  Obviously the customer is worried
that this will keep happening.  Any recommendations on how to debug this
problem?  Unfortunately I do not have any Nortel experience so I do not
know how to make sure we keep sync between the two systems.

Carlos Chávez Prats
Director de Tecnología
+52-55-91169161 ext 2001