[asterisk-r2] Problem patching Asterisk 1.6.0.6

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:38:28 CDT 2009

> I read and understand the points described below but to me, those bullets
> sound more like a coders saying ³don't bother me with it².

You got it half-right, it's about coders saying don't bother me if you are
just a leecher.

> I own a tech
> support company and first and foremost, we are here to server the people,
> We
> also develop software and I know how demanding the end users can be, but in
> the end, we are here to server them.

As long as they pay you. Do you have some customer who does not pay you?
Please let me know which one of your customers in Intruder you serve for
free life-time?

You may ask, why should I need to help other when I'm not charging anything
> for openr2 use? And that's a valid question... Which I can only answer like
> this: first of all, why develop openr2? To fill the void that unicall left
> (BTW Steve Underwood left unicall and asterisk because of something like
> what we are seeing here, he just got fed up), so, if openr2 was developed
> fill a void, then it was expected that as more and more users started using
> it, question would arise and needs would be shouted out... After all,
> asterisk is used in production environments and not for hobbies so there is
> a certain ³urgency² to make it work here.

Urgency, hum. When I need something urgently I do one of 2 things. I spend
time learning about it, I ask smart questions but NEVER EVER demand an
answer from someone who I am not paying for his time. If I pay for someone's
time then I will demand an answer, otherwise is pointless.

> Also, like the saying goes ³if you don't want to feed the cat, don't own a
> cat²....

Exactly, if you don't want to use openr2, don't use it. I am not forcing
anyone. Go an pay for a commercial stack if you want 24/7 support (and not
even then you will get that support).

If a successful software like openr2 is developed and released on
> to the community, and as more and more users use it, certain responsibility
> from the developer is expected....

That's funny, I give you something for free and you expect more from me
without giving nothing in return? I am not even talking about money here,
fortunately there are at least 3 good companies who have contributed
financially to openr2, 2 from México btw, I am talking about at least
spending your time helping other users, go and check how many questions I
have answered here and then how many you have? and I have a real job to
attend as well.

And dare I say... Certain etiquette...
> We all have our bad days but hey, it always pays to be nice to people.

Have I insulted some one? if you want someone to make you feel warm and
fuzzy open source mailing lists are not the right place.

> I'm not saying pull out your wallets and throw
> money like it was a MS software project but hey, throw some bucks on the
> developers way just to say ³thank you for creating this software and keep
> up
> the good job². Maybe that will also help, on a subconscious level, help
> improve the developers attitude by showing you care.

The best way to get a attention from developers is asking smart questions
and not questions that are easily answered by spending 20 minutes reading
the manual or googling about it.

> Both of us, the developer and us, users, can help openr2 become even better
> than it is right now... But we all have to do our parts... Moises, just
> tell
> us what to do... Open a paypal account so we can pitch in, send us code for
> testing, etc... But don't shut us out by saying ³Ill fix it when I have
> time
> or if I want to...²

I gave you instructions about which commands to use, what else do you wanted
me to do? the next step would be doing it myself which I won't do until I
have the time. I suppose you think I should stop doing the job that pays my
bills and fix your problems so you can pay yours?

> Don't become the next Steve Underwood please. You are not alone on this
> project and we would like to help out.<http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-r2>

How many installations you had with Unicall that allowed you to make money?
and still you think Steve done wrong? giving you something for free which
you can turn into profit? I must be brain damaged but that does not sound
bad to me.

My only problem is with users that demand us to work as if it were our
responsibility to help them. We, open source developers, work for the sake
of it, for fun and because we like to code. Make no mistake, is NOT our
responsibility to help, we do it because we like puzzles, we like to find
the answer to interesting problems. If you come here with a problem already
solved in the manual, or requesting a patch that is so easy to do, that's
simply not interesting. I will do it when I have time, I suppose I am an
insensitive bastard for doing so :-)

--
Moises Silva
Software Developer