[asterisk-r2] openr2 support with HFC-E1 card

Yue Chen dspfac at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:46:25 CST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am new to both Asterisk and Openr2 so forgive me in advance for lacking of
enough background knowledge (I am trying hard to catch up ...). I am
building a project involves single port HFC-E1 card. I started with Asterisk
1.6 mfcr2 branch and can build everything without problem. The E1 card came
with mISDN driver and it was installed. The name of the driver is hfcmulti.

I did lspci and it give me the card physical information.

04:00.0 ISDN controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network Controller
[HFC- E1] (rev 01)

When I do a dahdi_hardware, the system tells me

driver should be 'cwain' but is actually 'hfcmulti'
pci:0000:04:00.0 cwain+ 1397:30b1 HFC-E1 ISDN E1 card

Apparently something is wrong. If my understanding is right, I should not
use mISDN driver since it does not play with zaptel and chan_zap. It only
works with chan_misdn. The cwain driver is maintained by junghanns.net as
part of bristuff package which support BRI and zaptel. But I am not sure
this is right. Before digging into the unknowns, I want to ask for some
directions here. Thanks for help.

Regards,

ychen