[asterisk-ha-clustering] New HA setup

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Nov 3 08:31:50 CST 2009

3 nov 2009 kl. 15.19 skrev Frederic Jean:

> Thanks Olle, I can only agree with you; it needs love to work
> properly, lots of love : )
And propably a major redesign to fulfill the expectations from the
users :-)

> So talking about the "other" school, you put a SIP Proxy on the two
> servers with a virtual IP
> and get the Asterisk to talk with the same database setup we
> described here I guess.

The proxys need to handle one or two virtual IPs if you need NAT
support. By design,
the SIP protocol uses DNS for load balancing and failover, so it
should not be needed,
but most phones (as well as Asterisk) doesn't implement this fully so
in the end you
usually end up with heartbeat.

How much of the database you need to talk with from Asterisk in this
setup depends on
what you do in the proxy. Some information that the proxy looks up
regardless can be
sent in sip headers to Asterisk.

It all depends on your application. Running a SIP-PSTN gateway service
for consumers is one thing, running a hosted PBX is completely
different and requires a different setup.

> It sure is less complicated and more straight forward in terms of
> dialplan, etc.
Well, it does require some new thinking to get it right if you're used
to have Asterisk matching
peers and users.

Maybe we need an AstriSIPcon for having time to discuss this work. :-)

/O