[asterisk-ha-clustering] New HA setup

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Nov 3 02:44:56 CST 2009

3 nov 2009 kl. 02.35 skrev Frederic Jean:

> Is this something "standard" in a HA Asterisk solution? Has anybody
> tried something similar?
> Any comments are appreciated!

There are basically two different schools. The one you describe is
focused on Asterisk and is based on realtime/dundi. The other one
focuses on SIP and builds an extensible SIP network based on SIP
proxys that load balance SIP traffic to a set of Asterisk servers. In
this case, Asterisk doesn't receive registrations and doesn't "own"
devices. On the other hand, you can easily add other SIP applications
than voice. Video, presence, instant messaging...

Asterisk is a great platform, but only for telephony and since it's
call stateful, it doesn't scale as easily as a SIP proxy. The
combination is great. This is how I built platforms for service
providers during many years, and this is also what we teach in the
Asterisk SIP Masterclasses.

Since I need SIP scalability, I haven't focused on realtime/DUNDI. I
personally feel that the realtime/SIP implementation needs love to
work properly and that DUNDI is a bit limited to Asterisk. Nothings
stops other products from implementing DUNDI, but so far, no one has
been interested.

Regards,
/Olle