[asterisk-gui] IAX ATA (adaptor for phones)

John Rogers john at wizworks.net
Mon Mar 30 09:28:35 CDT 2009

Does anyone know where to get a quality IAX2 voip ATA (Telephone adaptor)?
I contacted Digium about the IAXy not long ago, and was told the IAXy was no
longer in production?

What I'm looking for is an IAX compatible ATA that can connect to a server
using it's Host Name (DNS) instead of a hard programmed IP address.  The
unit should also be capable of doing a broad range of codecs (ulaw, speex,
GSM, etc) and be fairly easy to provision.  I was ordering X100P ATAs until
they stopped selling them (they claim they are working on a new model).

Google searches turn up very little.  I'd prefer not to go SIP as SIPs a
pain in the arse (I don't feel like messing around with STUN, etc).  IAX2 is
nice and easy, efficient, and only requires one port to be opened on the
firewall.

We have a large family with many members overseas and we want to give our
overseas relatives ATA units that they can plug cordless phones into and be
able to receive/place calls over our Asterisk server to any other relative
in the family.  We'd prefer an ATA instead of a hardphone because the ATA
allows the use of a regular phone which is what most lay people are familiar
with, and because most regular phones are cordless, so they aren't tied to
the desk.

Someone please help me find a good solution...

Regards,

--
- John
Website: http://wizworks.net