[asterisk-gui] Ring Groups/Call Queues

Bob Crandell bob at assuredcomp.com
Wed Jul 15 10:45:36 CDT 2009

On 14 July 2009, Bob Crandell wrote:
>Hi,
>
>What is the difference between Ring Groups and Call Queues?
>
>Thanks
>

>Bob Crandell
>Assured Computing, Inc.
>541-868-0331
>ComputerBase USA
>541-349-0404

Bob,
A Ring Group usually refers to a group of phones/extensions that are set to
ring simultaneously when a number or extension is dialed.  For example, a
simple Ring Group may be used so that external calls to your office ring at
your desk as well as your assistant's desk.  A Call Queue, however, places
callers in a first-come first-served queue, which is handed to the "agents"
logged into that queue.  Queues and Agents may be configured in a number of
ways, and how the calls get to an individual agent is dependent on the
configuration.

Whether a Ring Group or a Queue is best suited for a situation usually
depends on the number of expected calls and the number of people answering
those calls, as well as the complexity of the call handling desired.

I hope that answers your question.  If I missed something, let me know.

Sincerely,
Trevor Hammonds

Good explanation and your example even fits our office.  I can see now I was making this more complicated then it needs to be for us.

Thanks
Bob