[asterisk-gui] Extension config

Ryan Brindley rbrindley at digium.com
Wed Feb 25 08:09:10 CST 2009

Lamine,
Welcome to the Asterisk community! Getting into Asterisk can have a big learning curve depending on your telephony/linux background. Fortunately, there are a few resources out there to help with this curve. If you haven't heard of it yet, I'd suggest looking into <http://www.asteriskdocs.org>. This will be a great place to start.

As for a little bit of more focused help, try thinking of extensions in the following manner. When you get an incoming call you have to tell it where to go. Extensions is the means to do that. Since you only have one incoming line, it makes things really simple. The line comes in to a given dialplan context and searches that context for any matching extensions. Restated: An incoming call walks into a room (the incoming context) and yells "HEY, I HAVE A CALL FOR NXXNXXXXX, ANYONE HERE BY THAT EXTENSION?". The call then looks around and tries to find any match for that and either points to the match or shrugs and walks back out of the room. This is simplified of course, but enough to help understand the basics of extensions.

Hope it helps.

--
Ryan Brindley
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer