[asterisk-gui] don't get 2.0 gui to run on asterisk 1.6.0.5

Chuck Coleman pres at 2cci.com
Mon Feb 23 22:05:53 CST 2009

Starting over. Will the installation procedure be the same?

http://www.itinfusion.ca/asterisk/howto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch/

Howto: <http://www.itinfusion.ca/asterisk/howto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch/>  Installing Asterisk on Debian Etch

Please Note: This is up for historical purposes and is getting pretty dated. I’ve since upgraded to Asterisk 1.4.13 w/ FreePBX and, while it is a similar install, I think that it’s probably actually easier. I didn’t use it, but this guide for installing <http://mikeoverip.wordpress.com/2008/03/29/asterisk-compilation-and-installation-on-debian-etch/>  version 1.4 on Etch is probably a good place to start…

Some changes in my business have meant that I finally have a business case for running my business (and home) phone lines through the open source Asterisk PBX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_PBX> . For those who aren’t familiar, Asterisk is a very powerful VOIP (Voice Over IP) enterprise phone system that runs on Linux and Unix servers. It provides all the features of proprietary PBX phone systems at a mere fraction of the cost. The software itself is free and it runs on commodity server hardware. The savings are really quite significant.

I installed a fresh Debian Etch stable server and then went to work on compiling Asterisk. Why not just install the Debian packages? Well, even the unstable packages aren’t that current and Asterisk changes fairly frequently. Compiling is the best way to stay current. A lot of Debian folks don’t want to stray too far from “apt-get” but it really isn’t that hard to compile Asterisk once you’ve done it a few times!

I’m one to give credit where credit is due. I mainly followed this <http://www.fatofthelan.com/articles/articles.php?pid=26>  tutorial but had to update some things for my chosen version of Debian. This post borrows heavily from the tutorial.

Here’s what I did:

1. Install the Kernel headers that are required for compiling. Do a “uname -r” at the command line to determine which version of the linux kernel you are running.

aptitude install linux-headers-2.6.18-4-686

2. Install all of the dependencies that you’ll need to compile Asterisk.

apt-get install libncurses5-dev bison libssl-dev libnewt-dev zlib1g-dev procps gcc make binutils doxygen

3. Download all of the source code. These are the versions that I downloaded. By the time you read this there may be newer version so check the links to the files on the Asterisk web site <http://www.asterisk.org> .

cd /usr/src
wget http://ftp.digium.com/pub/asterisk/releases/asterisk-1.2.18.tar.gz
wget http://ftp.digium.com/pub/zaptel/releases/zaptel-1.2.17.1.tar.gz
wget http://ftp.digium.com/pub/libpri/releases/libpri-1.2.4.tar.gz
wget http://ftp.digium.com/pub/asterisk/releases/asterisk-addons-1.2.6.tar.gz
wget http://ftp.digium.com/pub/asterisk/releases/asterisk-sounds-1.2.1.tar.gz

4. Compile Libpri. You may not be using PRI lines, but it is required by Asterisk.

cd /usr/src/libpri-1.2.4
make
make install

5. Compile Zaptel. I’m not using a Zaptel card, but Asterisk still needs Zaptel as a timing device so I’m using a device called ztdummy. Once upon a time you had to modify the Makefile in order to enable ztdummy, but it appears to be installed by default now.

cd /usr/src/zaptel-1.2.17.1
make
make install
modprobe ztdummy

6. Edit /etc/modules to ensure that ztdummy is running after a reboot.

nano /etc/modules
(add ztdummy to the list, save & exit)
update-modules (updates the system)

7. Compile Asterisk.

cd /usr/src/asterisk-1.2.18

edit Makefile and uncomment the following lines (assuming that you are running a Pentium or AMD64 processor):

#PROC=i686
#K6OPT = -DK6OPT

make mpg123

This didn’t work for me. It download the mpg123 source, but then I got some errors and the compile failed. I searched around the web and finally came upon a solution which resolved it for me. Only do the following if “make mpg123″ fails!

cd /usr/src/asterisk-1.2.18/ mpg123-0.59r

One single command:
make CC=gcc LDFLAGS= OBJECTS=’decode_i386.o dct64_i386.o decode_i586.o audio_oss.o term.o’ CFLAGS=’-DI386_ASSEM -DPENTIUM_OPT -DREAL_IS_FLOAT -DLINUX -DREAD_MMAP -DOSS -DTERM_CONTROL -Wall -O2 -m486 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-all-loops -finline-functions -ffast-math’ mpg123-make

Now continue on with the Asterisk install…
make install
make samples
make progdocs
make config

cd ../asterisk-sounds-1.2.1
make install

9. “make config” should setup the /etc/init.d/asterisk startup script and do the symbolic links in /etc/rc0.d, /etc/rc1.d, etc. Unfortunately, it only appears to work on Redhat based systems. The solutions is to copy the init.d startup script from the contrib folder over to /etc/init.d. Then you’ll need to create the symbolic links by hand. I used the existing symbolic links for Apache2 as a template.

cp /usr/src/asterisk-1.2.18/contrib/init.d/rc.debian.asterisk /etc/init.d/asterisk

10. I don’t want to run Asterisk as root so I’m going to create an “asterisk” ID and group.

adduser –system asterisk
addgroup –system asterisk

nano /etc/passwd

Change the recently created asterisk line so that the home directory is no longer “/home/asterisk” and now reads “/var/lib/asterisk”. Here’s how mine looks:

asterisk:x:105:65534::/var/lib/asterisk:/bin/false

11. Tell Asterisk to run using the newly created ID and group.

nano /etc/init.d/asterisk

Uncomment the following lines:
#AST_USER=”asterisk”
#AST_GROUP=”asterisk”

12. Create a spot for the Asterisk process ID to live (instead of /var/run).

nano /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf

Change this: astrundir => /var/run
To: astrundir => /var/run/asterisk

13. Create the /var/run/asterisk directory and change the permissions.

mkdir /var/run/asterisk
chown asterisk:asterisk /var/run/asterisk

14. Change permissions on all the other directories that Asterisk uses.

chown -R asterisk:asterisk /var/log/asterisk
chown -R asterisk:asterisk /var/spool/asterisk
chown -R asterisk:asterisk /var/lib/asterisk/
chown -R asterisk:asterisk /dev/zap/pseudo

15. Add the “asterisk” ID to the “audio” group.

adduser asterisk audio

16. Fire up Asterisk from the command line and behold the glory of Asterisk. Hopefully you don’t have any errors or warnings. If you do, hit Google and figure it out! You’re pretty resourceful if you got this far!

asterisk -U asterisk -G asterisk -cvv

17. Assuming that everything is good from the command line, you can now start the Asterisk daemon by typing:

/etc/init.d/asterisk start

18. You probably want to test this thing right? Take you hardware or software SIP phone and create an entry in /etc/asterisk/sip.conf for your phone.

Here’s what mine looks like (login as ‘grandstream1′ with password ‘password’):

[grandstream1]
type=friend
host=dynamic
secret=password
disallow=all
allow=ulaw

In order to test the connection, just pickup the phone and dial 500. You should get a testing message and then get connected to the server at Digium.

19. Done! Well, installed anyway. Configuring SIP phones and configuring Asterisk is outside the scope of this post.

Once I get around to installing FreePBX I’ll post those instructions as well.

 <http://slashdot.org/bookmark.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itinfusion.ca%2Fasterisk%2Fhowto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch%2F&title=Howto%3A+Installing+Asterisk+on+Debian+Etch> [Slashdot] <http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itinfusion.ca%2Fasterisk%2Fhowto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch%2F&title=Howto%3A+Installing+Asterisk+on+Debian+Etch> [Digg] <http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itinfusion.ca%2Fasterisk%2Fhowto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch%2F&title=Howto%3A+Installing+Asterisk+on+Debian+Etch> [Reddit] <http://del.icio.us/post?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itinfusion.ca%2Fasterisk%2Fhowto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch%2F&title=Howto%3A+Installing+Asterisk+on+Debian+Etch> [del.icio.us] <http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itinfusion.ca%2Fasterisk%2Fhowto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch%2F> [Facebook] <http://technorati.com/faves?add=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itinfusion.ca%2Fasterisk%2Fhowto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch%2F> [Technorati] <http://www.google.com/bookmarks/mark?op=edit&output=popup&bkmk=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itinfusion.ca%2Fasterisk%2Fhowto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch%2F&title=Howto%3A+Installing+Asterisk+on+Debian+Etch> [Google] <http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itinfusion.ca%2Fasterisk%2Fhowto-installing-asterisk-on-debian-etch%2F&title=Howto%3A+Installing+Asterisk+on+Debian+Etch> [StumbleUpon]

  _____