[asterisk-gui] GUI in AsteriskNOW

Steven Sokol ssokol at sokol-associates.com
Thu Oct 23 21:42:58 CDT 2008

Howdy Folks,

Looks like this has stirred up a bit of controversy.  Let me do my
best to give you my thoughts on this.

AsteriskNOW 1.5 with FreePBX is an interim build.  It's the first step
towards creating a universal telephony applications platform.  That
does not mean creating yet another
bloated-throw-in-everything-including-the-dishwasher distro.  It means
creating a foundation on which developers can easily install their
favorite framework (AsteriskGUI, FreePBX, Adhearsion, etc.) and build
telephony appliances.  FreePBX is the first framework but not last or
only.

By the time we get to AsteriskNOW 2.0 we want empower system builders
and developers by collapsing the installation process for any/all of
the popular application frameworks used with Asterisk.  The goal is to
let the user pick their framework and toolset just like they would
pick from KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc. as the desktop environment on a
workstation.

We're certainly not trying to force anyone into adopt FreePBX.  We
just figured that there are a lot of people out there who already know
FreePBX but have become tired of the antics from certain competitors
and want a fresh but familiar distro.

We're actively looking for input on AsteriskNOW 2.0.  Please continue
to let us know what you would like to see (or not see).

Thanks,

-S

--
Steven Sokol