[asterisk-gui] Trunks/Service Providers

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 05:25:55 CDT 2008

In article <013e01c92a3c$4dc59ad0$e950d070$@com>,
Trevor Benson <tbenson at a-1networks.com> wrote:
> I know this sounds sort of mundane, but can someone give me a brief example
> of how service providers and trunks in Asterisk GUI 2 are used? I setup
> trunks between systems all the time, and using the trunks interface of the
> GUI I always seem to run into some weird thing where I am not placing the
> correct values in each side.
>
> I am assuming that 2 systems will be trunked on IAX, and registering to
> eachother.  Each one will have its own usename and password for the
> registration phase.  Thus HostA would send 'HostA' as its user with a
> password, and HostB would send 'HostB' as the user and password.
>
> Am I missing something?  It just seems like the GUI wants a single username
> and password for both sides, or am I just not grasping how its setting up
> the 'service provider' or trunks?

As I understand it, registration is only required when a host on a dynamic
IP address needs to inform the other end of that IP (in order to satisfy a
host=dynamic, so that the fixed host can initiate calls to the dynamic one).

So having both ends of a link register to each other doesn't make sense,
since at least one end must be on a known fixed IP address.

If both ends are on fixed IPs, just specify those IPs in the iax contexts
and don't bother with registration at all.

Or is there another factor in registration that I have missed?

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield