[asterisk-gui] "Checking write permission for gui folder"

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 16:53:11 CST 2008

Hi David -

>> The calls to ASTGUI.systemCmdWithOutput() do not seem to work.  I
>> don't yet know why.
>
> Are you sure? The GUI uses this for a lot of things.

I saw that, and found it a bit confusing.  Neither of the calls to
this function relating to this bug were doing their job, but other
calls to it did seem to work.

> Be aware that this
> function is not as straight forward as it might seam. It is asynchronous in
> nature, so the "output" may not be present immediately on return from the
> function.

Ah.  Thanks.  That's important to know!

> The "output" is returned to the call-back function and should be
> acted upon in there.  Also, debugging with firebug can be confusing, again
> because of the asynchronous nature of the call.

I'm actually just doing old fashioned trial and error debugging (no
firebug involved).  Even after waiting a considerable time, the calls
to ASTGUI.systemCmdWithOutput() didn't do anything.  Perhaps they were
defered in favor of something else that was failing?

> General rule-of-thumb, you
> shouldn't be doing anything immediately after a call to systemCmdWithOutput
> that depends upon completion of the command... all that should take place
> within the call-back function.

Hmm.  I put some alert()'s at the beginning of the call-back
functions, and they were never run, so apparently the call-back
functions were never called.  I dunno.  I'll dig more.

- Noah