[asterisk-gui] rico in the GUI

Pari Nannapaneni pari at digium.com
Wed May 9 09:19:47 MST 2007

Hi all,

I would like to know your opinion about getting rid of OpenRico from the AsteriskGUI.

rico was first added by Mark in his original GUI framework mainly for the accordion (sliding panels on the side)
pattern and also a couple of animation effects. I spent some time yesterday on a substitute for the accordion
widget. So we can now get rid of Rico from the GUI - this would give the advantage of

* no longer having to deal with compatibility between Prototype versions and Rico versions
* GUI loads and works a little bit faster and takes less memory (more obvious on slower machines)
* Supporting browsers like Konqueror and Safari
* Cleaner and compact code

On the down side we loose other capabilities of Rico like drag and drop etc.
but i'm sure we can find (or come up with our own) alternatives for those features if we need them.

please let me know your comments on this.

thanks
-pari