[asterisk-gui] Tag/Branching The Gui! 1.4 and Trunk

bkruse bkruse at digium.com
Fri May 4 11:30:32 MST 2007

Hey guys,

I know this is long overdue, but since the gui is packaged apart from
asterisk, I think this would be a great time to branch the Gui.

Some of the changes we are making also require patches to the asterisk
source, including bugs, or new features.

In the case of bugs, they get merged up from 1.2 and 1.4 and trunk. But
new features ONLY go into trunk (with the exception of some....)

My proposal is to have a 1.4 branch of the gui that will be completely
compatible with asterisk 1.4. And as of NOW, ONLY bug fixes will go back
into this branch (just like asterisk).

This would be great because:

1) If you were running a stable box for a customer or in production, you
do NOT want to run trunk, most of the time. And we will know and weed
out exactly what works well with 1.4

2) The 1.4 branch will become very stable and use-able because ONLY bug
fixes will go into it, therefore it will be hard to introduce new bugs.

3) We can start tagging the gui to specific release versions of asterisk
that we know of. That way, when a new asterisk version is released, we
will have a gui that has been prepped and cleaned, and had
all(hopefully) of its bugs fixed and will be ready for download.

Let me hear what you guys think,

-bkruse