[asterisk-gui] Opinion, what do you want in the gui for users?

Ming Yong voiceroutelist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 18:39:34 MST 2007

Being one of the companies in this space that is dedicated on the
software side of Asterisk given our involvement in Druid Telephony
Platform (one of the first commercial GUIs in the market since dec
2005), I would like to say that user interface design is an extremely
important topic that has to be linked to the target audience. The
asterisk target audience is SMEs and telephony VARs. This user base
requires both a good admin module to administer a system simply (eg.
add/delete/change extensions, auto-provision phones, setup voicemail,
IVR, conference rooms, dial plan type editor)
as well as an end user module.

The key reason is simple: SMEs don't typically have the budget nor the
need to do actually get a third party to do their PBX configurations.
Hence, the GUI has to do both admin & end user base functions. Most
important of all and i believe all interfaces including Druid is still
lacking is how to you expose the true power of asterisk telephony to the
user & admin without making it "dumb" where the functionality is just
removed because the user cannot be "trusted" with it.
This is kind of difficult and our attempt at it was the Druid Dialplan
Wizard that allows any basic asterisk user to be able to create complex
dialplans using point and click + in-context help.

The end customer SME really does not care whether the backend is
asterisk or whatever. All he cares is his application functionality,
usability vs the price point. Which is why in the Druid Telephony
Platform, we have done A lot of work on the end user modules like follow
me, voicemail over the web, voicemail to email settings, call
forwarding, simultaneous rings and of course voicemail password setting :)

Ming