[asterisk-gui] Opinion, what do you want in the gui for users?

Facundo Ameal fameal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:20:36 MST 2007

Steven,
    I agree with you. Every hardware provider has its own provisioning
format. An RFC or something like should be made so it becamoe some
kind of "standard protocol". Am I dreaming? or you think it's
possible?

On 4/13/07, Andrew Latham <lathama at lathama.com> wrote:
> Steven
>
> Would a provisioning middle-ware be the better option. A system described below.
>
> Stations = MAC address
> Extensions = Stations
>
> 1. Station starts up and asks for DHCP
> 2. DHCP gives TFTP or CONFIG server per MAC (lots of work here)
> 3. TFTP or HTTP configs to the phones with correct settings (magic)
> 3.1 TFTP or HTTP system ask the manager interface for info for extension
> 3.2 TFTP or HTTP configs created and sent to Stations
> 4. Station registers
>

> Andrew
>
> On 4/13/07, Steven Sokol <ssokol at sokol-associates.com> wrote:
> > On 4/13/07, Facundo Ameal <fameal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have been thinking a lot about this topic and I figured out that it
> > > would be be awesome if the GUI  had something to implement
> > > provisioning with some of the most known IP telephones/gateways.
> >
> > Amen!
> >
> > In a recent review by Network World one of our open source competitors
> > beat three very good Asterisk-based PBX systems not so much because of
> > the lack of features within Asterisk but because the competitor
> > included support for directly provisioning phones.
> >
> > However.... This may be beyond the asterisk-gui project.  It may
> > warrant an additional project that connects to Asterisk by way of the
> > manager API and to the endpoints by whatever methods are available.
> > (We really need to lobby the manufacturers to adopt a standard format
> > for provisioning, but that's not going to happen in the short-term.)
> >
> > What do you folks think?
> >
> > --
> > Steven Sokol
> > CEO
> > Sokol & Associates, Inc.
> >
> > Asterisk Training:  http://www.sokol-associates.com/
> > AstriCon 2007: http://www.astricon.net/
> >

> --
> ---
> Andrew Latham - AKA: LATHAMA (lay-th-ham-eh)
> lathama at lathama.com - lathama at gmail.com
> If any of the above are down we have bigger problems than my email!
> Hind sight is most always 20/20 or better.
> ---

Facundo Ameal.
fameal<at>gmail<dot>com
Linux User #395088

Share your knowledge, use free software.