[asterisk-doc] PHP.net-style Asterisk Documentation

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Apr 21 00:05:41 CDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, James Hunt wrote:

> I was reading through the Feb 2009 archives for this list and found an
> exchange about setting up an "authoritative" documentation site for
> Asterisk.  I think this would be a great complement to TFOT - especially
> once you get past the basics and want to really expand out a dialplan or a
> multi-server Asterisk PBX.
>
> At work, we recently built a VOIP ACD using Asterisk, with a lot of dialplan
> logic that I would consider "advanced" - queueing, callback agents, agents
> on hard and soft phones, BLF lights and more.  In the process of building
> this switch, we relied heavily on TFOT, Switching to VOIP and voip-info.org.
> That being said, it was still difficult to pin down decent documentation on
> how things can and should be done.  Most of the time we used voip-info as a
> starting point and hacked around with a test system until we got something
> to work.
>
> I agree that the voip-info wiki hasn't worked, and I'd be willing to help
> build a PHP.net-style documentation base with user-supplied comments.  Is
> there still an interest in this?
>
> I am also attempting to pick up the "clean up doxygen" janitoial project on
> Asterisk HEAD.  If there is still an interest to build this system and pull
> the documentation straight out of the source code, I would be willing to
> help out with whatever coding needs to be done.
>
> Thoughts?

  I built that in 2006 or 2007, but then business got too busy.  The work
  still sits in an svn repository at Digium -- search for my name in the
  asterisk-doc archives and maybe the svn repository is there.

  I agree -- better documentation is really needed.  A moderated commenting
  system, doxygen-imported information, and really just a better job of
  in-depth docs on functionality is desperately needed.  voip-info.org wiki
  doesn't cut the mustard.

  I can't offer help in the project unfortunately, but the base is there.  I
  simply copied the PHP documentation system from source back in 2006 or
  2007, then updated it with Asterisk Dialplan Application documentation as
  best I could.