[asterisk-doc] Application Documentation

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue May 2 13:53:19 MST 2006

Hey guys,

After looking at the format used to document the Authenticate application, I
figured I would try to do something to help jumpstart the process for
documenting all of the applications.

I have written an Asterisk CLI command which will generate a basic file for each
application that contains the documentation we currently have inside of the
Asterisk source tree.  Unfortunately, due to the limits of the way we store this
documentation internally, I am not able to break up the arguments individually.
  However, I'm hoping this will help provide a starting point.

1) Download the patch

http://www.clemsonlinux.org/~russell/appdocgen.patch

2) Apply the patch to a checkout of the Asterisk trunk

svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk asterisk-trunk
cd asterisk-trunk
patch -p0 < appdocgen.patch
make
make install

3) Create a directory to hold the files generated by this command

mkdir /tmp/appdocs

4) Run the command!

*CLI> appdocgen /tmp/appdocs

You can also have it only generate a file for a specific application:

*CLI> appdocgen /tmo/appdocs dial

Let me know if you have any problems using this command.  I hope it helps
provide a starting point!

Russell