[asterisk-doc] Web-based Documentation -- Need Help

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Wed Jul 12 11:01:29 MST 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:

> The thing to avoid is to write what has already been covered elsewhere. What
> goes in asteriskdocs should be what is missing from A:TFoT.

  I disagree.  While it makes no sense to write what can be copied, I think
  having a location to have as much as possible is the goal.

> We are working on a cookbook for O'Reilly, which will not hit the shelves
> for a while; so rest assured there is writing going on, just not here. I do
> not have enough bandwidth to write more than I already am, but I would be
> delighted to provide some editorial assistance. People probably don't
> realize how an editor can fix up a lot of the stuff that makes people think
> they can't write. If someone takes the time to write something, even if it
> has poor grammar and spelling mistakes and would upset your English teacher,
> it is no big deal. That can easily be fixed during the editing process.

  Amen.  Editors are needed.

> One person I think we should try to rope in is Ira. He say he can't write
> but from what I have seen I beg to differ ;-). Also, he has some good ideas
> about what was missing from A:TFoT, which is exactly what we want to move
> towards.
>
> A section of all the asterisk functions, and neat stuff that can be done
> with variables would be useful.

  Have you actually looked at what I've done?  It is there, just not as
  filled out as I think it needs to be:

     http://mph.gotdns.com:82/manual/en/