[Asterisk-doc] (interesting announcement) New Document Management System (DMS) at ADP

Leif Madsen asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:27:12 CDT 2005

On 10/29/05, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
> Leif Madsen wrote:
> > * Work with documentation in ASCII format. This allows people to use
> > any editor, however simple, that they wish. This will also make it
> > easier to convert to DocBook format after the document has been
> > written.
>
> ASCI?? A-Z only? I believe DocBook can handle more, since it's XML and
> XML by nature is unicode. Guess this was a mistake, but what character
> set are we supposed to use? As we move Asterisk to a more international
> way of handling characters, we need support for ÅÄÖ and even more
> interesting characters :-)

Heh, yes, you are totally correct in that I was mistaken with the term
"ASCII". What I meant was plaintext, and I tend to (incorrectly)
substitute ASCII for plain text.

As for us North Americans being more sensitive to the world community,
we need to be more aware of the use of special characters and be sure
our goals take this into account. As we see Asterisk start to support
a more international character set, those of us in the documentation
arena also need to keep up. Luckily I have people like you, Olle, to
keep me in line :)

--
Leif Madsen - http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.asteriskdocs.org -- Co-Founder