[Asterisk-doc] Legacy/carrier interface docs

Leif Madsen - Independent Asterisk Consultant asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 22:20:39 CST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:52:48 -0800, David Josephson <dlj at altaphon.com> wrote:
> Greetings doc-team,

Welcome David!

> Is there any plan for including a volume on interfacing to carriers and
> non-VOIP devices? I would be interested in contributing to the effort on
> such things as signaling interfaces, setting levels on trunks (how do
> you know when txgain and rxgain are right?), interface to legacy
> switches, etc.

There is no formal plan for such an undertaking, but we would love to
have someone start one! We recently had a couple of developers start
documentation about the various Asterisk API's and coding with
Asterisk in general. It would be great to have another project
started.

If you would like to start such a project, your best bet is to start
off with an outline which contains major headers of topics you would
like to cover. Then below those headers place bullets regarding what
you would like each section to entail. Post your outline to the
Asterisk Docs mailing list for review. Once your outline as been
approved, then we can convert it to DocBook (either yourself or one of
the other documentation contributors such as myself), place it in CVS
and continue working on it there. If you do not wish to learn DocBook,
that is fine. Post material to the mailing list for review and someone
will convert it to DocBook and commit it to CVS for you.

Once we have something in CVS, then we can auto-generate it and place
it on the Asterisk Docs website.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask here or off-list.

Thanks,
Leif Madsen.
http://www.asteriskdocs.org
http://www.leifmadsen.com