[Asterisk-doc] Docutorial

Randolph Resnick asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 11:25:08 +0200

Hi all,

Since it was at 2AM local time, I wasn't able to "attend" the
conference. Here are a few brief comments though about what I've read so
far.

It is obvious that someone who wants to install asterisk should know
enough linux to get around. I know exactly just enough. When I'm stuck I
know people I can ask and there is the web. I agree that there should be
no need to discuss anything about linux unless it is a very obscure feature.

OTH, while I had little knowledge of linux (a little more on FreeBSD) I
have ZERO knowledge of telephony or voIP. I came into this through FWD
and somehow stumbled up to the point I'm at now where I have a working
system that serves as a small office pbx and cheap voIP connection to
the USA where I have family. I think there are hundreds of thousands of
potential users out there with a background and needs similar to mine.
Before installing *, I learned what I knew from the FWD and other voIP
forums and sites.

A half page about how voIP in the * docs wouldn't be amiss. Further,
there is so much talk about NAT, it would be good to do another few
paragraphs explaining why this is even a problkem and what possible
steps can be taken.

I have a strong distaste for the common "sorcery/secret society" aspect
often associated with open source and linux guru stuff that many
denisons can get into on mailing lists and irc, such as, but not limited
to distro wars, cisco and grandstream bashing, spitting on one OS or
denigrating protocols etc. I'm not talking about expressing an opinion,
but of harping on it instead of being helpful. Not only is this behavior
lame and immature but it does no good at all to anyone.

If you are serious about putting asterisk outside the boundaries of
geekdom, the documents need to be tempered, friendly, accurate and
positively helpful. I think those of you here are on that wavelength and
I formally thank you for it.

One of the big reasons people come to irc is to ask what certain error
messages mean. I think a section is needed which explains all the common
errors and warnings and goes into a little detail about what the cause
and cure may be.

I didn't mean to go on and on, so I'll stop now.

rr