[Asterisk-doc] lsmod, rmmod and modprobe

Randolph Resnick asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:03:57 +0200

In the section on building *, you want a lsmod example list.
  [someone should probably verify this works like this, and document any
common problems people have with recompiling and installing the modules
into memory]

Here is one off a working system with FXS and FXO modules:

 > lsmod

wcfxs                  28512   3
wcfxo                   8512   2
zaptel                179840  18  [wcfxs wcfxo]
usbcore                58400   1
i810_rng                2656   0  (unused)
hisax                 449444   0  (unused)
isdn                  117184   0  [hisax]
slhc                    5040   0  [isdn]
isa-pnp                30724   0  [hisax]
hdlc                   13592   0  [zaptel]
tulip                  40928   1
crc32                   2880   0  [tulip]
ide-scsi                9424   0
agpgart                39576   0  (unused)

Oddly and suddenly, the zaptel stuff began not loading properly at boot
time. I don't know if there have been changes in the zaptel drivers, but
I went through hours of rmmod, modprobe and lsmod. It would *seem* that
the order (that worked for me) is this:

 > rmmod wcfxs
 > rmmod wcfxo
 > rmmod zaptel

to remove

and to manually (re) install

 > modprobe zaptel
 > modprobe wcfxo
 > modprobe wcfxs
 > ztcfg -vvv

I post here in case anyone has the energy to add a line or two for
beginners like me.