[Asterisk-doc] a few lines

Mark Elkins asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:46:21 +0200

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 21:59, Leif Madsen wrote:
> [...]

Speaking as a user.
Digium is not into phone instruments - so I see no conflict of interest.
The Grandstream website does not give too much technical help or
specific "howto's" for Asterisk - so that help probably needs to come
from the Asterisk side. I see nothing wrong with documenting how to set
up the Grandstream (or any other phone or device) so that it works
optimally with Asterisk.
eg.
a - the methods of encapsulating DTMF - why to use RFC or Info..
b - suggested ordering of codecs - and their relationship to ordering in
asterisk
c - programming the message button - so it automagically gives voicemail
(with examples on asterisk side, one which needs a passwd and one that
doesn't
d - a suitable 'sip.conf' entry for the grandstream
e - maybe some info on downloadable ringtones
f - Grandstream limitations..
    1 - transfer button vs the '#' key
    2 - other special buttons - which don't seem to do anything.
g - where to get the latest firmware

If other users of other phones do the same thing then...
It gives a new user an idea of what a phone will do -and-
maybe the phone manufacturers will come more to the party?
--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje@posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE