[Asterisk-doc] Prerequisite Knowledge and Skills

Olle E. Johansson asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:41:52 +0200

jim@digitalchemy.ca wrote:

> While Asterisk has been known to work on other hardware platforms (such
> as x86_64) and other operating systems (such as FreeBSD), we recommend
> you use Asterisk under Linux on an i386, especially while you are first
> starting out. Getting Asterisk up and running on other platforms or
> operating systems is not for the faint of heart!

With all the recent changes for Asterisk on *BSD, I would say that this
is wrong...

I would change to:
--------------------
Asterisk works on many operating systems, however the main development
and the PSTN hardware support is focused on the Linux i386 platform.
On other platforms, you are mostly limited to use only VoIP protocols
in your PBX. Some applications will not run without timers that
currently is implemented only on Linux systems. The FreeBSD operating
system has recently got a lot of attention by Asterisk developers
and Asterisk is running smoothly on that platform with the above
mentioned limitations.

I have been running * on FreeBSD for a year without any major problems
until recently, but that was quickly sorted out... Had a friend who
installed on FreeBSD yesterday without a problem, and he is a complete
Asterisk newbie (I don't know about his heart condition, though).

/O