[Asterisk-doc] Prerequisite Knowledge and Skills

asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:26:07 -0400

--Alt-Boundary-30255.114247875

I've added some meat to the prerequisites area. Part of me thinks this is =
going to
frighten people away, or appear too elitist, so please feel free to be cri=
tical, folks!

Prerequisite Knowledge and Skills
Because of the nearly limitless flexibility of Asterisk, successfully conf=
iguring
a system requires more than a passing familiarity with several technical
concepts, most notably Linux Installation and Administration, as well as a=
understanding of Telephony. In this document, we will only be scraping the=

surface of these complex technologies as we discuss concepts relevant to
Asterisk design, installation and administration. If you desire more knowl=
edge
on either subject, we have suggested several sources which will set you on=
 the
path towards the required knowledge.
Telephony
Asterisk is a PBX, and that means that the more Telecommunications
knowledge you have, the easier Asterisk will be to learn. If you plan to u=
se
analog circuits and telephones, you will want to understand the difference=

between FXS and FXO interfaces. Digital trunks will require you to be
conversant with technologies such as ISDN-PRI (including wiring of T1s).
Terms such as PSTN or VoIP should be second nature to you, and you=92d do
well to obtain an understanding of the concept of analog to digital conver=
sion,
and what codecs are.
Before you get overwhelmed, please understand that many excellent
references exist to help you obtain this knowledge. A good introductory wo=
rk
is Noll's Introduction to Telephones and Telephone Systems, published by
Artech House Publishers. The definitive encyclopaedia of all things Teleco=
m is
Newton's Telecom Dictionary, published by CMP Books =96 this book should
be on any telecommunication professional=92s bookshelf.
Linux Installation and Administration
You will need an i386-compatible system with Linux installed before you ca=
install and use Asterisk. If you do not have a solid grasp of Linux
administration concepts you will want to focus on obtaining those skills b=
efore
attempting an Asterisk install. On the Internet, The Linux Documentation
Project provides many great resources for beginners. In the bookstore,
Frisch's Essential System Administration along with Nemeth, et al.'s Linux=

Administration Handbook and Unix System Administration Handbook are
recommended. Running Linux by Matt Welch, Lar Kaufman et al. is still one
of the all-time most successful Linux introductions. Reading one or two of=

these books can save a lot of headaches down the road.
[put this in a coloured box]
Other Systems
While Asterisk has been known to work on other hardware platforms (such as=

x86_64) and other operating systems (such as FreeBSD), we recommend you
use Asterisk under Linux on an i386, especially while you are first starti=
ng
out. Getting Asterisk up and running on other platforms or operating syste=
ms
is not for the faint of heart!
[end of coloured box]
Can you configure Asterisk without all of this knowledge? Perhaps. But you=

will suffer needlessly. Trust us. Obtain the background knowledge and you
will be rewarded with a far less painful Asterisk installation.

That's all I've got for tonight . . . um . . . I mean this morning :-)

Regards,

--
Jim Van Meggelen
DigitAlchemy

--Alt-Boundary-30255.114247875

<?xml  version=3D"1.0" ?><html>
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
[...]

Terms such as PSTN or VoIP should be second nature to you, and you&#146;d =
do
well to obtain an understanding of the concept of analog to digital conver=
sion,
">Before you get overwhelmed, please understand that many excellent
references exist to help you obtain this knowledge. A good introductory wo=
rk
yle=3D"font-size:12pt"><i>Introduction to Telephones and Telephone Systems=
</i>, published by
Artech House Publishers. The definitive encyclopaedia of all things Teleco=
m is
t-size:12pt"><i>Newton's Telecom Dictionary</i>, published by CMP Books &#=
150; this book should
be on any telecommunication professional&#146;s bookshelf.</span></font></=
p>
">You will need an i386-compatible system with Linux installed before you =
can
install and use Asterisk. If you do not have a solid grasp of Linux
administration concepts you will want to focus on obtaining those skills b=
efore
attempting an Asterisk install. On the Internet, The </span></font><a href=
=3D"http://tldp.org/" \t "_top"><font face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D"3">
<u>Linux Documentation
&#160;provides many great resources for beginners. In the bookstore,
Frisch's </font><font face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D"3">
Administration Handbook </i></font><font face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D"=
3">
and <i>Unix System Administration Handbook</i> are
recommended. </font><font face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D"3">
<i>Running Linux </i>by Matt Welch, Lar Kaufman et al. is still one
of the all-time most successful Linux introductions. Reading one or two of=

these books can save a lot of headaches down the road.&#160; </font></p>
">While Asterisk has been known to work on other hardware platforms (such =
as
x86_64) and other operating systems (such as FreeBSD), we recommend you
use Asterisk under Linux on an i386, especially while you are first starti=
ng
out. Getting Asterisk up and running on other platforms or operating syste=
ms
"font-size:12pt">Can you configure Asterisk without all of this knowledge?=
 Perhaps. But you
will suffer needlessly. Trust us. Obtain the background knowledge and you
will be rewarded with a far less painful Asterisk installation.</span></fo=
nt></div>
at's all I've got for tonight . . . um . . . I mean this morning :-)</span=

--Alt-Boundary-30255.114247875--