[Asterisk-doc] A new contribution to the effort

asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:06:30 -0400

--Alt-Boundary-24260.93227078

Hello all.

I would like to contribute to Asterisk generally, and to the documentation=
 effort
specifically.

As a first effort I would like to offer some editorial assistance by propo=
sing a more
confident and enthusiastic introduction.What follows is intended to replac=
e the two
paragraphs under the heading Asterisk:The Swiss Army Knife of Telephony

Here goes:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Asterisk. You are about to discover the
most powerful and popular open source PBX available.

Asterisk allows you to craft a telephony system to address your specific
requirements. It does this by providing a library of basic telephony funct=
ions
which you then use as script building-blocks. Calls into the system trigge=
these functions through digit patterns (referred to as extensions), giving=
 you
complete control of complex call routing concepts with relative ease.
Common PBX functionality such as voicemail, call queuing, conferencing,
music on hold and others are all included. But that's just the beginning.
Asterisk is one of the few PBXs in existence that connects legacy telephon=
technologies such as PRI or Analog trunks through the same switching logic=

as state of the art VoIP interfaces such as H.323 or SIP. This powerful ye=
simple core allows complex concepts in other systems to be deployed with
ease in Asterisk. For example, building an IVR application or deploying CT=
functionality can be done more inexpensively than with any other system.
Why? Because with Asterisk, it's all built right in!

Perhaps Asterisk=92s most valuable asset is the open nature of the system.=
 As
with any open-source application, Asterisk can be further enhanced by the
community of people who use it. This powerful concept ensures that Asteris=
is prepared to mature in keeping with the demands of the industry. Go ahea=
and modify the source code to fit your needs, or, better still, contribute=
 to an
active and growing development community.

Because Asterisk is so powerful and flexible,  in this book we can only be=
gin
to cover all the possible uses and configurations. We will therefore focus=
 on
the most commonly used features of the system and answer the most
frequently asked questions. If you can work through the material we presen=
here, you will be well on your way to becoming a competent Asterisk
solutions developer.

We have also included appendices that will serve as excellent reference
material, covering subjects such as application programming in C,
configuration of various types of hardware, and many samples of
configuration files. Also, there is a glossary included to help you find
definitions for terms and acronyms used in this book.

So that's my proposal. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

--
Jim Van Meggelen
DigitAlchemy

--Alt-Boundary-24260.93227078

<?xml  version=3D"1.0" ?><html>
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
would like to contribute to Asterisk generally, and to the documentation e=
ffort
 a first effort I would like to offer some editorial assistance by proposi=
ng a more
confident and enthusiastic introduction.What follows is intended to replac=
e the two
paragraphs under the heading <b>Asterisk:The Swiss Army Knife of Telephony=
"font-size:12pt">Welcome to the wonderful world of Asterisk. You are about=
 to discover the
"font-size:12pt">Asterisk allows you to craft a telephony system to addres=
[...]

"font-size:12pt">Perhaps Asterisk&#146;s most valuable asset is the open n=
ature of the system. As
with any open-source application, Asterisk can be further enhanced by the
community of people who use it. This powerful concept ensures that Asteris=
is prepared to mature in keeping with the demands of the industry. Go ahea=
and modify the source code to fit your needs, or, better still, contribute=
 to an
"font-size:12pt">Because Asterisk is so powerful and flexible,&#160; in th=
is book we can only begin
to cover all the possible uses and configurations. We will therefore focus=
 on
the most commonly used features of the system and answer the most
frequently asked questions. If you can work through the material we presen=
here, you will be well on your way to becoming a competent Asterisk
"font-size:12pt">We have also included appendices that will serve as excel=