[Asterisk-doc] extensions.conf section

Steven Critchfield asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 02:37:08 -0600

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 12:37, Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
> > > In Europe that's typically 0 instead of 9.
> >
> > Okay, I was concerned about specifying a digit, but I have also run into
> > a few systems here with an 8 also. Maybe specifying the two digits would
> > be bad.
>
> I was actually driving at something else: There are many places where the
> current Asterisk documentation is very US-centric (which is
> understandable due to the headstart of VoIP there). Still, once a while
> that makes understanding descriptions more difficult since the reader
> first has to guess how things work in the US - not everyone is familiar
> with those conventions. It'd be great to take a more global approach
> whereever possible.

This is where sometimes having my font set small enough to squeeze more
onto my monitor backfires. on 3 different readings, I thought you had
said 8 was used over there.

I have modified the comments of that paragraph to point out the
differences.

> Another example is 911 - we use 110 and 112 over here, and I guess not
> everyone will now what 911 is all about, including the "address
> resolution" that is apparently connected to this service (that is news to
> me, for example). On the other hand you might not know what "Call-By-
> Call" and "Carrier Pre-selection" are (results of the EU commissions
> efforts to liberalize the telco markets).

Yep, don't know about those terms.

> In short: If we want Asterisk to grow also on other continents then we'd
> need to take that into account as well.

I think this important just to be inclusive.

Anyways, all changes I had agreed with in the last exchange have been
modified. If someone else has suggestions, I really would like to hear
them before I sit down next for more filling in. I know some have been
away through the weekend and therefore I don't mind waiting a bit.

--
Steven Critchfield <critch@basesys.com>