[Asterisk-doc] Last Conf / Volume

jim at digitalchemy.ca jim at digitalchemy.ca
Thu Aug 26 23:27:14 CDT 2004

Good questions.

Leif and I have done much jawing on this subject as well.

Here's some of my thoughts:

With respect to 2.4 vs. 2.6, we wanted to be sure the 2.6 support in Asterisk was
rock solid, so we've been working with 2.4 knowing that we'll have to deprecate it in
favour of 2.6. Could this be a topic for *con?

With respect to other OS's/distros, we figured we'd end up with either too many
footnotes or too many confusing choices for the reader if we tried to cover all the
possible platforms. We are enthusiastic fans of all the non-Linux ports and should
very much ensure that we pay respects to the BSD, OS-X and non-Fedora distros
somewhere in Volume One, but giving all these choices to the reader will not help to
achieve our goal, which is to walk them through the simplest process possible that
will deliver a working Asterisk system.

The reason we went with FC1 (or, FC2 very shortly) is that we felt it would be the
distro that would be easiset for the newbie to obtain, install, configure, and get
support on. Fedora is arguably the most popular newbie Linux distro, and that
qualified it as the ideal distro upon which to build our newbie Asterisk system.

The goal of Volume One isn't to build the most technically perfect Asterisk system,
but rather to document a step-by-step process that will allow the newbie to succeed
in creating a well-balanced system upon which to the embark on their journey of
Asterisk knowledge.

Once they achieve that, we can only hope that they start thinking along these lines:

"well, I've now got a working Asterisk system but gosh, I just want to see how small I
can get the kernel . . . "
or
"I wonder what I could tweak to get the best performance optomizations . . . "
or
"what if I reserve one server for the call processing, and tie another one in for the
database, voicemail, storage and . . . "
or
"I'm sure Python will build a better GUI than PHP . . . "
and even
"I don't think Fedora is the best distro for Asterisk. I'll bet I can do better . . . "

We just converted another one! And THAT'S what the spirit of Volume One should
be all about!

Cheers,

Jim.