[Asterisk-doc] Just a friendly hello - also: LATEX or DocBook?!

Rainer Jochem rainer@graphics.cs.uni-sb.de
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:38:35 +0100

--2/5bycvrmDh4d1IB

Hello all,

> I would also like a vote on whether to use LATEX or DocBook

Hmm... vote or flamewar ;)

=20
=20
> Now, the thing I have a problem with LATEX is that it seems very
> Linux'y, and DocBook seems to be less platform dependent.  Comments?

Well, depends what you mean of "Linux'y" and "platform independent":

- Both are plain ascii and can so be edited even with edit.com of=20
  good old DOS.

- I don't know much about docbook and thus not if s.th. like
  db2pdf also exists for windows, but what I can say is that
  with cygwin (www.cygwin.com) you also have the possibility
  to use both latex and cvs from windows.

- Both achieve the same goals: producing documentation for=20
  electronic publishing via ps/pdf=20

- Docbook uses XML which is IMO way overload and with all those
  tags much more uncomfortable to keep track of the hierarchy
  or nested things.

- Latex is ... well Latex :) It is different and perhaps from
  the first point of view not that "easy" as Docbook which
  obviously resembles well known Html etc.=20
  But Latex isn't difficult either - it's just a different
  syntax but it is the same principle: Document description
  language.

- Latex has some "specialities" like the need for escaping
  special characters and it's styles where the whole=20
  page layout etc gets defined (but the latter is equal
  with docbook).=20
  But if you know it, it is quite easy and well working with.

- As Latex has been around for a while there's plenty of=20
  documentation/tutorials/tricks/tips out there.

- Latex can quite easy split a document over different files
  which makes it comfortable for larger documents

- Every good editor provides a Latex mode with appropriate
  syntax highlighting.

- One can do quite a bunch of things with Latex and pstricks
 =20

As one might already have guessed, I'm someone who likes
Latex very much :)=20
First of all because of the features, but to be honest also
of the fact that I'm used to it and quite lazy to change
a running system...

Just my opinion,

 Rainer

--=20