[Asterisk-doc] "The Extensions.conf Cookbook" chapter

Olle E. Johansson asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:10:49 +0100

Greg Varga wrote:
> Ok... Took me a bit, but how about something along the line of what is
> below?  I basically took everyones ideas and compilied it into one...
>
> Components of the Asterisk System
>   The Asterisk Directory Structure
>   Editing .conf files
>   Getting started with a DevKit Lite ((one FXS, one FXO - Maybe a diff
> title?))
>      Zaptel and zaptel.conf ((GS/LS/KS signalling... zttool... etc.))
>      Zapata.conf ((just the basics... an introduction to contexts))
>      Extensions.conf ((just enough to be dangerous))
>   Getting started with VoIP ((just the basics))
>      SIP - sip.conf
>      IAX - iax.conf
>   The Extensions.conf File
>      Contexts ((why to separate))
>      Includes ((how to reduce typing))
>      Macro's ((how to write them - Include with above?))
>      Variables ((extra data))
>      Call flow ((putting it together))
>      Special extensions (I,T,S)
>      More advanced applications calls ((Asterisk allows for a lot of
> diffrent formats for calling apps))
>   The VoIP side of Asterisk
>      Configurating SIP
>      Configurating IAX
>      Configurating H323/OH323
>      ... etc
>   The PBX Side of Asterisk
>      Zaptel cards and config
>      Configurating Zapata
>      CAPI/ISDN
>      ... etc
>   Asterisk Add-On Applications
>      Playback()
>      Record()
>      GotoIf()
>      Cut()
>      Authenticate()
>      VoiceMail2
>      ZapBarge()
>      ... etc
>   Advanced Concepts
>      Building IVR
>      Bringing in the DB
>      DISA
>      Any number of neat tricks to go along with the cookbook.
>      Music On Hold: The moh.conf File
>      Voicemail: The voicemail.conf File
>      MeetMe: The meetme.conf File
>   Sample Configurations (Working Sample Configurations)
>

> Comments?
Just a general thought:
We have to be careful so the "Dial Plan cookbok" chapter doesn't cover everything the other
chapters cover. This looks like a full handbook... ;-)
The dial plan is so important that it is easy to forget about the basics,
the structure, logic and syntax just to cover everthing else, like applications.

I still think the channel configs needs to be in chapters of their own, not in the dial plan cookbok.

Well, good luck. I'm checking out for christmas! Merry Christmas, documenters!
/O