[Asterisk-doc] "The Extensions.conf Cookbook" chapter

Jared Smith asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:28:47 -0700

I've added a couple of comments below:

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 15:19, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> To rip apart, if the subject is introduction to the dial plan (mainly extensions conf)
> Haven't thought of it all, just shooting from the hip
>
> BASIC
> * Concepts: Channels, extensions, users, applications, contexts
> * A general overview (how <channel>.conf  files and extensions.conf work together
> * Handling calls
> INTERMEDIATE
> * Adding logic (macros)
> * Using contexts

Why is "using contexts" in Intermediate?  I absolutely believe that
contexts is *THE* most important thing to understanding
extensions.conf...

> * Special extensions (I,T,S)
I would think that the special extensions should be in basic, because
you'd need them to build a simple 1FXOx1FXS PBX.
> * Building IVR
> * AGI
AGI gets it's own chapter...

> Channel configuration is separate chapters
I agree that the in-depth channel configuration should be a seperate
chapter... what I was imagining was a "quick start" for a couple of
common scenarios, such as the DevKit lite.

> Zaptel configuration /dev kit lite/ must also be separate
>
> Jared, I'm just thinking freely on how I would start. It's a very complicated thing
> to describe, so it's important to start with the right approach. The old handbook
> is not that bad in this part.

To be honest, I've purposely avoided looking at the old handbook so that
I don't get accused of plagarism.  All I remember about the old handbook
is that the first one made a lot more sense than the 2nd (draft) one.

Jared